Chicken & Sausage Jambalaya for 25
by Uncle Larry Roussel firstname.lastname@example.org
|Ingredients for 25 people|
|Cooking oil or lard||½ cup|
|Smoked sausage||4 pounds (sliced)|
|onions||3 pounds (diced)|
|Boneless chicken thighs||6 pounds (cubed)|
|Uncle Larry’s seasoning||3/4 cup|
|Kitchen Bouquet||3 tablespoons|
|1 bell pepper||diced|
|Mahatma XL rice||5 pounds|
- Heat oil on medium high heat, then add sausage & onions to the jambalaya pot. Cook down for about 10 minutes. Stir often to avoid sticking.
- Now add the chicken and Uncle Larry’s. Water and juices will be extracted from the chicken and sausage. Cook down until all of the water evaporates. Avoid burning and scorching the pot.
- Add the water and bring jambalaya to a boil. Oil will accumulate on the surface, skim as much as possible. Avoid skimming the liquid under the oil.
- As you are bringing your jambalaya to a rolling boil, add the Kitchen Bouquet and the diced bell pepper.
- After you reach a rolling boil, add the rice. It is very important to stir often at this time. You want to prevent the rice from sticking to the bottom of the pot. You may need to lower your heat just a little to prevent rice and juice from splashing out of the pot. Continue to cook down until you notice a little rice on the surface. At that time, move to the next step.
- Now, lower the heat to a minimum and place a lid on the jambalaya pot. Leave covered for 20 minutes.
- Now remove the lid and roll the jambalaya. (NOTE: You should have liquid on the surface.) As you work the edge of the pot with your paddle/spoon, allow the liquid to drain to the bottom. Using your paddle, rotate the rice on the bottom with the rice on the top best you can.
- After you fluff your jambalaya, you may be able to turn off the fuel, allowing the fire to extinguish. But, the thickness of your jambalaya pot may be factored into your decision to “Turn off or Leave on” the burner because a thicker pot will retain heat longer.
- Now, place the lid back on the pot for 10 minutes, then remove the lid, stir and start serving your jambalaya.