Cabbage Stew by Uncle Larry Roussel
¼ cup lard or cooking oil
2 pounds of pork, Boston Butt, (cubed)
1/3 cup Uncle Larry’s seasoning & flavor enhancer
1 large onion (diced)
2 celery ribs (diced)
1 bell pepper (diced)
one 10 ounce can of Rotel tomatoes
4 pounds of diced or shredded cabbage
1 cup of chicken broth
½ cup of white roux (to make the white roux, use ½ cup of Wondra flour & ½ cup of cooking oil.)
1 tablespoon of parsley flakes
1 tablespoon of Kitchen Bouquet
You should prep in advance to cooking. Dice or shred your cabbage, dice the onions, celery and bell peppers. Keep all three vegetables separate. Make your white roux in advance and set aside. NOTE: To make your white roux simply heat the ½ cup of oil in a small skillet. Then, add the Wondra flour and cook down just long enough for the mixture to start boiling/bubbling. Remove skillet from burner.
- Place burner on medium high heat and add the lard/oil in a pot capable of holding about 4 gallons.
- Add the cubed pork and Uncle Larry’s seasoning & flavor enhancer, brown pork.
- Add the onions, celery, bell pepper and Rotel and cook down until the onions softens.
- Add the cabbage to the pork and stir well. Place lid on the pot. Simmer on medium heat for about ½ half hour. Stir occasionally.
- After the cabbage is tender, add the chicken broth, then add the roux and parsley flakes. Stir well to mix.
- Now add the Kitchen Bouquet and once again, stir will to mix. Simmer for about 10 minutes.
- Turn off burner, it is time to eat!
Serve over white rice.